Friday, October 17, 2008

Thanks 'Queer Eye Guy'!


Well, I thought I was going to have Friday off, but was called at the last minute letting me know they were booking me on a new pilot for Carson Kressley's new morning talk show. You know, the 'Queer Eye' blonde guy. Truth be told, I already forgot what the show was called, "Carson Break" or something like that.

Anyway, doesn't matter...the bigger story tonight is I am retracting my "necessary evil" statement I made in my last blog. I am officially withdrawing my name from the 'audience hat' effective immediately. Without going into another diatribe about my utter disdain for this circus work, I just want it on the record...I am done with audience.

I think what really did me in was all the dancing they made us get up and do, coupled with all bunch of clapping to the beat, and swaying our arms in the air like we weren't supposed to care, while eager audience members got up to sing karaoke hoping maybe...just maybe...this would be their big break. Believe me, I tried getting out of it, but the fluffer tonight was a 300 pound, bald biker dude who was Johnny-on-the-Spot with everyone and called you out on it, if you weren't participating.

(Oh, and P.S. - if I had to listen to another phallic joke...I think I counted 14? I mean...we got it dude, you're gay, let's the keep the show moving already!)

Later I spoke with the biker-fluffer and asked him outright how much he was getting paid for doing this, and are you ready for THIS??...$900 per episode...WTF!!? Okay, so let's do the math, shall we? 5 shows a week x $900 (ummm...carry the 1...multiply by HOLY $#@!...) that is $4,500 / week!!! That is the kind of money that is out here in Hollywood ladies and gentlemen.

So, as you can imagine...the $8 / hour non-union scale we are given to be there listening to these goofballs, no longer registered as a "good idea" to me. Beyond that, I was never doing this for the money, it's all about the vouchers, and this doesn't provide that for me.

On a lighter note, Carson (the host) singled me out of the crowd and applauded me for what I was wearing and said "he really liked my sense of style" which is a pretty big compliment, coming from a gay man who has had several style shows. His guests tonight were, 'Sammy Brady' from Days of our Lives / The Biggest Loser and a zoologist (yep...this was the pilot) and I have to say, the best part of the night was the kangaroo the zoologist brought out, I've never seen one in real life, and let me tell you...amazing creatures! Seriously, I think that might be one of the first things I buy if I make it big.

In closing, I am actually glad I did this tonight...it helped me realize that while money is essential, it's not the main reason I am doing this, and the work/experience is what takes precedence.

But really? $900...reeaally?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like equinox "cool beans margorite?" Keep up the fight.